Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Finally...

Well, my computer has been on the fritz ever since I installed a new printer. Finally, after spending hours troubleshooting, I unplugged all of the USB devices, and unplugged the power for the night and YAHOO! my camera and printer appear to be working once again.

Things here are going much better. With the weather starting to get a bit nicer, we are all in a better mood. Lia went in for her speech evaluation and oddly enough a week before hand started talking in sentences! She went from never speaking more than one word at a time to speaking in 3-4 word sentences. She does not qualify for any additional speech services. She is having less extreme tantrums lately too.

Garrett has gone to two "kindergarten" evaluations. Both have said that he is very well prepared for kindergarten. I am not convinced. He put on a good show. He is pretty smart- but can be a real pain and flat out refuses to do traditional kindergarten tasks like write and sit:) I am leaning towards young five's- he won't be 5 until mid- July, but I guess I am still undecided.

Caelan is gearing up for her visitor- a 5th grade French exchange student from Paris who will be staying with us from the end of April to the end of May. We are all very excited to have her:) She also has her dance recital in May, and she will be making her first communion, reconciliation and confirmation all in April. Whew. It will be pretty busy the next couple of months!

Well, here are some pictures from Lia's first official hair cut (I cut her bangs a couple of times) and Garrett's trip to the Dow event Center to see Monster Jam- a monster truck event.










5 comments:

Heather said...

I just wanted to share that when my son was due to start kindergarten last year I too debated whether to wait another year. His birthday is July 17th but we placed him into a kindergarten/1st grade class and I couldn't be happier! He is reading and excelling:) Even being one of the youngest in the class hasn't made a difference. Just follow your heart and check out all of the options.

Meghan said...

Thanks, Heather:) This is the second time we have struggled with the kindergarten dilemma. Caelan's b-day is late November, so she is by far the youngest in her class. There are kids 18 months older... But at this point (she is only in 2nd grade), I am still very happy with our decision. I had no doubts about her academically or socially. Garrett on the other hand, sigh...

Kristin said...

Okay, from a kindergarten teacher's point of view, I say send him on. If the testing shows he is ready, he needs to go. I have many kids just like Garrett. They are "all boy". One was in my daughter's Pre-K class last year. His mom described him just like you did. But you know what? Once school started and he was "required" to do certain things, he did them all. The way the kids act at home and usually not the way they will at school for the teacher.

And, my busiest boys??? They are not summer birthdays. So you just never know.

What is the cut-off date for beginning kindergarten? In our county, you have to be 5 by August 31 to begin kindergarten.

Meghan said...

The cut-off date is December 1.

Heather said...

WOW! I love the new pictures of Lia! She has really gotten more and more beautiful! Those hair cut pictures are dreamy!

The decision for Garrett- must be a hard one! My Samuel can really be wound up in Pre-K. He is a REAL boy! Smart absolutely- rowdy- even more absolutely. Good teachers have good ways of channeling that energy! Good luck in the decision making!
-Heather