Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hello to any of my Dillingham Students!!

Bob and I met as first year teachers in Michigan. We both were having rough school years and started talking about how great it would be to move to Alaska. For both of us, it was a place we wanted to see and knew that a two week trip wouldn't be enough for either of us. Less than a year after we met, as adventurous early 20-somethings, we took teaching jobs at the middle school in Dillingham, Alaska.

I mostly taught 8th grade, but also taught high school math and high school alternative education at times. For two years, I helped coach the middle school girl's volleyball team. It was such a small, tight knit community, and I really got to know many of my students. We stayed in Dillingham for four years (fall 1998-spring 2002), until Caelan was 6 months old. I had to drag Bob out, he would have retired there. I felt that it would be good for the kids to know their grandparents and cousins and Alaska was too far.

I have kept in touch with one student over the years, Iris, and love to hear what everybody is doing. It is so funny, because right now they are around the age that I was as their teacher. Some of them are graduating from college and having babies! Due to the recent "Love without Boundaries Facebook Challenge" I signed up for a facebook account. Iris became my "friend" and I have also connected with other students. I can't wait to catch up with many of them. So if any of you DHS students are reading this, I can't wait to hear what you are up to!!!!!

No comments: